Source link : https://london-news.net/military-court-sentences-8-to-life-in-prison-over-crimean-bridge-bombing%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%82-a-russian-military-court-on-thursday-sentenced-eight-men-to-life-in-prison-over-the-2022-bombi/

A Russian military court on Thursday sentenced eight men to life in prison over the 2022 bombing of the Crimean Bridge, a key symbol of Russia’s claim to the peninsula it annexed in 2014.

The Oct. 8, 2022, blast killed five people and badly damaged a section of the bridge. Russian authorities said explosives had been hidden inside rolls of plastic film that were shipped from Odesa through Bulgaria, Armenia and Georgia using falsified paperwork.

Moscow accused Ukrainian security services of orchestrating the attack, alleging that a Ukrainian agent coordinated the movement of the explosives. Kyivtook responsibilityfor the bombing nearly a year later, while insisting that those arrested in Russia had been unaware that they were transporting explosives.

Russia’s Southern District Military Court in Rostov-on-DonsaidThursday that the defendants were found guilty of carrying out a deadly “terrorist act” and of illegally acquiring weapons as part of an organized criminal group. Two were also convicted of smuggling explosives.

All eight defendants had denied the charges against them. The trial began earlier this year and was held behind closed doors.

After the sentencing on Thursday, Oleg Antipov, a transportation company CEO and one of the defendants,insistedthe entire group was innocent and said they had cooperated fully with law enforcement officials during the investigation into the bridge bombing.

“Not a single person testified against us. Every witness says…

—-

Author : [email protected]

Publish date : 2025-11-30 17:22:00

Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source.

—-

12345678